<$BlogRSDURL$>

Pissonu Alert

Other Alerts

PISSONUAL
dhs advisory
Terror Alert Level

5.18.2004

Requiescat in Pace Tony Randall

I just learned that Tony Randall died peacefully in his sleep last night.

I'm very sad to learn this. (Obviously I'm referring to his death; I'm glad he died peacefully.) He's someone who has meant a great deal to me. I would sometimes find myself wishing he was my uncle, or even my dad.

But though I'm sad, I reflect on his long and happy life, and on the happiness he's brought to so many people -- myself very much included -- and I'm a little cheered because his was truly a life well lived.

He was a man of many talents. Selfless in his enthusiasm. A great lover and promoter of culture and the arts. Generous and altruistic; loving and caring. And a brilliant comedic actor.

He's remembered chiefly as the fussy Felix Unger on the TV show The Odd Couple, or as the third wheel in the DorisDay/Rock Hunter romantic comedies of the early 60s. However the work of his that means the most to me was his only top-billing film Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? It is one of the great comic masterpieces of American filmmaking, and is mandatory viewing for anyone who loves comedy.

The world has lost a very decent and beautiful man today. Through his life and through his talent he has made the world a richer, happier place -- for me and countless others.

Thank you, Tony. Rest in Peace.